Monday, May 13, 2019

The Beginning of a girl named Faith

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon when Jamie decided it was time to try for second child. Our little boy was napping in his room.  The day was August 17th, 2003.  If you're watching TV this is where the love music starts playing and see curtains blowing in the window. 

The next day Jamie panicked and said "I'm not ready for another baby." So cue the prevention. In my heart I knew we conceived a baby and I knew then and there the little one was going to be a Princess.  About six weeks later I had a friend and her husband over.  We went a drug store to get a pregnancy test because I really wanted to know if I was expecting.  Took the test right away and couldn't wait for Jamie to come home from work and surprise him with the positive results.  He was shocked, scared and happy all at once.

I never wanted a girl.  Girls scared me.  I felt I'd be a great boy mom and that I'd ruin a little girl.  So at my ultrasound I was hoping to hear you're having a boy.  My heart and mind had already told me months ago we were having a girl.  Jamie wasn't with me at the ultrasound.  The technician announced what I already knew: It's a girl!

Another reason I didn't want a girl was the color pink.  I hated that color at the time.  "Our daughter is NEVER wearing pink" is what I'd say.  This brought laughter from her grandmas.  They both would say "I'll make sure she has lots of it"  A couple friend from our church gifted us with our daughter's first blanket.  It was a pink one.  It was so soft and she kept that blanket until the day she passed.  It also melted my heart against despising pink.  In fact her in her hospital picture she is wearing a light pink onsie with roses on it.  What can I say?  God and others have a sense of humor.

For the first eight months of our daughters existence in my womb we had her name picked out.  We were going to call her Emma Grace.  The name no longer felt right as we entered our 9th month.  In May 2002 the popular TV show FRIENDS had a baby.  The popular couple Ross and Rachel named their baby girl Emma.  It seemed to start becoming  popular name.  Also at our home church another couple had a beautiful baby girl who they named Emma.  When the end of April came Jamie and I really started to feel God was leading us to a different name for our daughter.  

Jamie came home from work one day with two pieces of paper.  On the paper were the top 1000 names of 2002 for girls.  He gave me a highlighter and said highlight what you like and I'll do the same.  I gave him my list and he looked over the two.  The very first name combination he said out-loud we knew right away it was our Princess' name: Faith Elizabeth.  I can't even remember what else I had picked.

On Thursday May 20th at 2:32 Faith Elizabeth took her first breath of air.  While I pushing her out I was able to lean down a little and feel her little head that was emerging.  My eyes immediately teared up and my heart filled with a love I can't really put into words. 


We took Faith home on a Saturday to start living our 10 years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beginning of a girl named Faith

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon when Jamie decided it was time to try for second child. Our little boy was napping in his room.  The day was...